To be eligible to participate in the Florida Girls State Program, a girl must be:
- Academically in the upper third of her class.
- A member of the Junior class in Senior High School (including those who are Home Schooled) at the close of the current school year and planning to re-enter school for her Senior year.
- Recommended by the High School Principal or Superintendent, certifying the candidate possesses outstanding qualities of leadership, character, honesty, scholarship, cooperation and maturity. Final selection will be made after each candidate has been interviewed by the local American Legion Auxiliary Unit.
- Is fit – this program is strenuous physically, mentally and emotionally.
- Interested in the program and willing to participate in all phases of the program including flag ceremonies.
- Present for the entire session. No passes to leave the campus will be granted at any time during the session.
- Girls need not be members of the American Legion or the American Legion Auxiliary families.
- The Girls State Director reserves the right to accept or reject any application for citizenship in Florida Girls State. During the session, the Director may dismiss any girl for violation of the Girls State Code of Conduct. In such case, fees will not be refunded.